Roasted Root Salad
In a hectic world there is something to be said for a traditional approach to food. Nothing can beat fresh local veg and this is a perfect healthy pre weekend lunch or dinner.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 3 large beetroots
- 200 g of baby carrots
- 75 g asparagus
- 2 tsp olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- 50 g baby kale
- FOR THE MUSTARD PESTO
- 25 g pine nuts
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- 2. Wash and scrub the beetroots and carrots really well. For the recipe, I’ve used baby carrots, but feel free to use regular carrots and half them before roasting.
- 3. Dry the vegetables with a kitchen towel, cut the beetroots into wedges and place all the roots together with asparagus in a large bowl.
- 4. Toss with olive oil and salt. Mix well to make sure they all have a good coating of the oil.
- 5. Arrange the vegetables on a baking sheet and cook for 35 minutes.
- 6. Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over a high heat and toast the pine nuts until golden.
- 7. Add the rest of the pesto ingredients into the food processor’s bowl and pulse until you have a slightly chunky mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8. When the vegetables are ready, mix them with the baby kale and a 2 tablespoons of pesto.
- 9. Arrange on the serving plate and drizzle with more pesto.
- 10. Enjoy!
Recipe Cuisine: French